Pages

Friday, June 22, 2012

Most Proud Moment

This is easy and I am just going to refer to an old, deleted blog post that I wrote in August 2010:

The past 7 months I have been down. There were nights where I couldn't eat, days where I couldn't focus and moments that took me places I had hoped didn't exist. I spent the majority of my last days in Texas alone. I thought it seemed fitting. When you find yourself alone you question every decision that lead you to that point.

"What you have become is the price you paid to get what you used to want."

I wasn't angry. I understood.

When I turned in my two week notice, one of the first things that popped into my head was I am really going to miss three people at work. My boss was easy, but the other two... were "emotionally unavailable." These were my co-workers, not part of any of the drama, silently on Team Morgan, and I knew it. One took me off the technical coaches list and put me on the quitters list, the other told me that her mom thought it was sad I was leaving. So I smiled, they were going to miss me too. I gave one all my kitchen stuff, the other my living room set and said good-bye. They saw me off at the happy hour, witnessed my last good cry in Texas and contacted me this week in their own way.

I got an amazing email from one... telling me thank you. I have to quote this because as someone who is in management, who mentors others this could be a once and lifetime email. I once got a map from my GIS guy with Morgan Street in Texas labeled calling me the "best boss and mentor." This trumps that.

Email #1
..."I let him know that I’ll be fine at work, but I’ll miss the person who helped me grow up these past two years. I don’t know if you knew how much I look up to you."

Me:
"BTW... this email means the world to me."

Email #2
..."Since you've been giving me advice for the past two years, here's mine: Find your peace, Morgan. You looked out for a lot of people here (myself included), so hopefully you can find people who will look out for you up there. I'm glad you got to go home. (OK Last emotional farewell message, I promise). It all just sort of came to me after you had left."

I did something right.