Pages

Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Marathon #2

I went to San Diego to run a marathon.  I completed it in 4:37.  Not a personal record, not in style, but I finished it.  I got out of the gate too fast and sadly I realized it at mile 20... and at that point there was nothing I could do about it.  I decided to run/walk the rest of the race which mentally about killed me.  Here I was, doing something I set out to do, but I didn't do it well.  And I couldn't get past that.  I had one of the best guys I have ever had in my life there cheering me on, a running partner that wouldn't leave my side... and I somehow lost focus and I even think I tried to cry at one point. 

When did I start feeling sorry for myself? 

Although it was not a PR, my goal was to finish this race with the running partner.  I did.  I knew going in that my training was average, so I expected an average race.  Yet I still found myself disappointed with my effort.  Every race is different.  Every day is different.  Sometimes things happen or things happen outside your control, but you shouldn't lose sight of the big picture or what is important.  No one will ever remember my second marathon time, but they will remember I finished it. 

I even had a smile on my face when I did. I think that should tell me something. And yes, there will be another marathon... hopefully I can get the running partner to the finish line on better terms.

'Running is the greatest metaphor for life, because you get out of it what you put into it. ' -Oprah