Pages

Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Give it a Year

August 6 will be the one year anniversary of my last day at work in Dallas.  When I went to Texas I told myself I wasn't moving just for a boy and that it would take me at least a year to get settled.  I did move to Texas for a boy and it did take me about a year to get settled.  I find myself in the same situation but this time in a familiar place.  The social aspect of my life was easy.  I haven't had this much fun as I have had in this last year in a long time.  The job?  That was the hard part.

I struggled with the thought that I gave up what I was good at for someone else.  I had worked so hard and so long, and what felt like overnight, it was gone.  A good friend reminded me that even though the job was gone, I was the same person.  I had the same skills and abilities to get back to where I was in Dallas.  She was right.  I was recently informed by my boss that my firm is about to get ridiculously busy with some very interesting design and planning projects and there is no way they can handle it all on their own.  They are ready to move me into the management role and include me in all management meetings.  FINALLY.  I love this side of engineering.  Having a team, training others, managing projects and clients... this is what I am good at.  This is what I miss most about Dallas.  Now, now I have that in Colorado. 

What a great feeling to look back at where you have been and realize everything worked out, and that you did it.  I could be in the exact same situation I was a year ago, but I am not.  I am slowly moving forward, this time enjoying the journey a little more, laughing a little more at myself.  Can't wait to see where I am in another year.