Pages

Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Finding My Stride

Move number 5 in the last 18 months was completed this past weekend.  I am living by myself, closer to the parks, running trails... the things that I so desperately wanted to have when I moved back.  I have them.  "Wherever you go, there you are."  I can only hope this move confirms that I have not been running away from myself but I have just been trying to figure out where I belong. 

This weekend also confirmed I belong in Colorado, preferably in the mountains with running shoes on.  I completed a half marathon that goes between Georgetown and Idaho Springs.  I loved it.  The Canadian ran with me.  I slowly caught up with her around mile 7.5 and quickly realized she was too injured to finish.  I walked with her to the next aide station and continued on.  I have been here before, leaving my running partner behind with injury... it is hard thing to do.  I hope no one ever has to leave me.  Somewhere in that 13.1 miles I found my stride again, fell back in love with running and realized everything I have done in the last 30 years had led me to that exact moment in my life.  I just smiled.

I have finally signed up for a short story writing class.  I am so nervous.  I have to submit a story and allow my story to be openly discussed by a room full of peers for a 20 minute period.  Here we go.  Writing is not engineering or running, it is foreign to me and I have plenty of room to improve.  The deep end looks good apparently.  Lately I have been exposing parts of me that are sensitive, making me vulnerable and subject to rejection.  I need a really good topic.  I need to just smile, then breathe.  This is who I am, I hope you like it.