Unless you are in that one percent, most of us lose touch with friends/lovers/etc that at one point meant the world to us. Every now and then the song "Somebody That I Used to Know" by Gotye flashes up on my ipod at work. The song itself is about bitter feelings towards an ex-girlfriend and then she chimes in at the end with her side, which I love. Every time the song makes me think.
It is almost a surreal feeling to know that someone I loved and cared about so much exists in the world and I could not tell you a thing about them. I could not tell you a thing about what they are doing at this exact moment but I could tell you what I gained from having them in my life. I have been through some crazy things in this almost 31 years but I have never looked at anyone else and thought "why can't it be like that for me?" I can remember thinking "why is this happening to me?" But I know now.
I sometimes think of those "That I Used to Know." I wonder if they think about me? I wonder if they gained from knowing me? I hope they are happy. I hope that I influenced that in some way. I wonder who is in my life right now that will be on that list in a couple of years?