Pages

Friday, March 25, 2011

Still Running

Reality:  I can't take any time off until I have been with my company for a year.  This fact is a harsh reality for me.  I am a world traveler... you call me, I go.  Not this year. 
Glass Half Empty:  It was not like this last year when I was making more money and living in Texas, I had the run of that place.
Glass Half Full:  I have half day Fridays and I live in one of the most beautiful places in the United States, and I have not even seen the half of it.

I can't do anything about the reality of the situation, but I have tried to look at things from the "half full" perspective.  This past weekend was no exception as me and a few friends set out to Moab, Utah to run the Canyonlands Half Marathon. 

My knee has been giving me issue this last month.  I actually had to stop a run short just before the race, this was a first for me.  For the first time I was nervous that I may not be able to complete a race and I was racing to just finish, not improve.  The mental strain that I may not be able to do something I want tears at my core.  Failure is not an option in my world, it is not now and it has never been.  I am by far my toughest critic.  With the help of the running partner I convinced myself I was about to run one of the most scenic half marathon routes in the country, see places I had never been and I was going to do it with some good people.  Enjoy it... even if it means walking.

The canyons, arches, mountains were all breathtaking.  It was a point to point race, where we started at the top of the canyon and followed 128 into Moab.  We all got in our pace groups, we were running the same race, we were not running together.  I put on the ipod and run... I instantly fell in love all over again.  I love running.  I love running in races.  I love running in places I have never been before.  My timing chip blew away in the wind and my ipod went dead, it was almost like the running Gods were telling me to relax, enjoy it and take it all in.  It was so quiet in the canyon, just my foot steps along with several of my fellow runners... I was running a race in nature for the first time, I left the City behind.  My knee was killing me but I finished.  Not a PR (personal record) but I did what I set out to do.  Also a reminder, my glass is half full and I am still running.