I am sitting there with my roommate as she was telling me about the guy she has been hanging out with recently. She dated him about a year ago, things just kind of fizzled out. She told her friend that she was dating the same guy, he goes, "Why are you recycling? Don't bring old stuff into the New Year." Classic line. I loved it.
When I was younger my stepdad moved in and out of our house for a period of 2 to 3 years. I told myself that I would never get into a relationship like this, if it doesn't work the first time, it is not going to work. But, I have done it, it is the path of least resistance, sometimes it works out for people. What I have learned this last year, the path of least resistance usually leads somewhere you do not want to go. Then I get some random text message from the Ref telling me he was interested in seeing me again. We all have our theories here, lifelong girlfriend called it off again, he was drunk, I am officially the "reliever." Whatever the case I was willing to give him a second chance, told him I was available the next Friday, he said he didn't want to wait that long but would. My gut told me not to trust him, my friends told me not to do it... one even pointed out, "you teach people how to treat you." I was willing to hear him out.
Yesterday I asked him if everything was still on, at 1 am I get this text message, "I can’t do dinner on Friday. In my drunk stupor I forgot I am taking my mom skiing. It’s her Christmas present. Can we reschedule? Sorry.” Sure I can let slide that he fell off the face of the earth for a month, we weren’t really dating… but this text message irked me. One, really 1 am? Two, at what point were you going to let me know that you forgot you already had plans. Three, not flattered that you contacted me when you were drunk. Four, this is coming to me with a problem not a solution… no time for that.
So I respond with “Have so much fun skiing! It is probably better if we don’t reschedule.”
It sucks for me. I liked this one. But I finally know I deserve better, reaffirmed I need to listen to my gut. This guy will not be recycled.