Pages

Friday, January 13, 2012

Playoffs? Playoffs!

Friend:  Guess who got tickets to the Bronco game?  Want to go?
Me:  Really?  I am too emotional, not sure I can handle it if they lose.
Friend:  Yeah, I know.  And it is supposed to be cold.  I can't handle another game like last week.
Me:  Maybe we should just watch it at home?
Friend:  But what if they win and we don't go?
Me:  You are right.  Let's go.

That's right.  I almost didn't go to the playoff game against the Steelers.  I had flashbacks of the three losses I did see at Mile Hi this year and how two of them ended with me getting in a fight with someone.  Stay classy Raider Fan in the bathroom.  This was a dark moment in my love for the Broncos, almost not going to the first playoff game in 7 years.  My friend ended up getting me two tickets so I took the boyfriend and she took her's...

Friday Night:  I see John Elway at the Pepsi Center for the Michael Jackson Cirque de Solei performance.  I was at the show with the couple that I always go to Bronco's Opening Day with and their family has had season tickets ever since I have known her.  If it wasn't for this friend not sure if I would have really gone to many games in the last 10 years.  I thought... do you believe in signs?  And I was convinced this was a sign, I have never seen Elway randomly in Denver.  Also reminded me, I am home.

Sunday:  I slowly get out of bed.  I love lazy Sunday mornings.  More so since I have moved into my new place.  The place is full of windows, I love watching the seasons change through these windows.  It had snowed the day before and I woke up with the sun shining through... it was going to be a great sunny day with snow on the ground.  Playoffs!  I started to get excited.  My friends came to pick us up and it was time for 3 hours of tailgating.  Her dad does a tailgate right.  Ran into some friends I hadn't seen in awhile, shot gunned beers, Jager shots, corn hole, jammy packs... and me slowly preparing for a loss, I couldn't get emotional this time... I was there to enjoy the last tailgate and game of the season at home.

The game was more exciting then the week before.  That is all we asked.  We cuddled up in our Bronco snuggies as the sun went down and enjoyed a small lead against the Pittsburgh Steelers.  We were high fiving, dancing, praying that maybe the Broncos would stop running on first down... but the game was exactly what I wanted it to be, fun.

And then we went to overtime.  We won the toss... and somehow we won on the first play of overtime.  I first thought, whoa, he is passing on first down, he caught it... at this point score a touchdown we won't win on a field goal... and then pure joy.  I stood there screaming, jumping up and down, hugging, high fiving... really I didn't want to leave.  We cheered until the last player went into the tunnel.  And then went out for pizza.

The Broncos play again tomorrow.  We are not supposed to win, but I can't help thinking... what if?