Pages

Wednesday, July 6, 2011

What Does She Bring to the Table?

One of the craziest moments... walking down the streets of Newport, RI in the rain and getting caught up in a bachelorette party gone wrong. A few of the girls in the back were yelling at the group of girls about 20 yards ahead of them, basically describing a member of the party that did not "bring anything to the table." I just chalked it up to age and immaturity and walked as fast as I could to get out of the rain.

Through any life change, you realize that some people in your life may not make it to where you are going... what they bring to the table, you don't want or need anymore. I am a firm believer in that everyone brings something to the table, something you need in your life at that moment. You just may not realize it at the time. Sometimes you recognize instantly what a certain person will bring into your life, other times it takes a few rounds of hanging out before you get it. With all the changes in my life over the last 10 years, I accept that people come into my life for a lifetime, reason or season... accept that, love that, learn from that.

That is my challenge to myself. To not hang out with people that are just like me, that would do everything the way I would do it. I am not perfect. It takes less time to get to know those that are inline with your life... but it is more fun to see the world through someone else's eyes. A year ago, I didn't bring much to the table. I worked, ran and that was about it. Thank you to those that stuck by my side when I wasn't myself, when I was going through change... who didn't judge me for doing things differently than they would do it. Time to pay that forward... and have a lot of fun in the process.