Pages

Sunday, July 24, 2011

I Haven't Seen the Half of It

Sometimes I think I went through the worst year anyone could have, my last year in Texas. Then I think, that is a pretty selfish thought. When in reality since I have been home I have seen some close friends go through some serious life changes that make my last year in Texas pale in comparison. We all go through things, we really can't put them on a scale of "which is worse" because when you experiencing it, nothing is worse. Only when you get out of it or accept it, and emerge a stronger, better person, that you realize, it wasn't THAT bad.

The months leading up to my return to Colorado, I got support from people that I would have never thought would be there for me. One in particular I co-captained my high school basketball team with. Our friendship took some really long path, including years we didn't talk, didn't really care for the other person and eventually she became one of my closer friends. That last year in Texas she made herself available to me... even though that meant taking time away from her husband and little girl... she made me a priority when I needed it the most. She even celebrated my 29th birthday in a leaky limo on a rainy night in Texas, and was there when I finally moved back. A couple of months ago she was diagnosed with MS.

She still takes time out to meet me for breakfast or dinner, and I realize just how hard it is for moms to get away, and I appreciate it each time. I love that I am home where I can at least attempt to be there for her like she was for me. But I don't have answers, solutions... I hate that. All I know is each time I see her I want to remind her that she is not my friend with MS, she is my friend that has always been there, who has an amazing life and will somehow incorporate this into her routine and will become better than she was before. In the end that is what I have learned... we will all go through stuff and sometimes it is not fair... and if you really want to be a better person, you will accept it, learn from it and wake up smiling because it was all for a reason.

I am only 30. I haven't seen the half of it. Hard times are still ahead of me and my friends, but we will get through them together. To celebrate my amazing friend I have decided to raise money for MS Research in typical Morgan fashion, by participating in a race. Any support is appreciated, this time it is for a cause, for a person, that means so much to me.

Click Here