Pages

Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Hot. Corporate. Hell.

I can remember 18 months ago thinking, "just give me 6 months and I will be fine."  That thinking was the beginning of the end for me.  I needed more time... and I finally got it, and I am finally fine.  I briefly rolled into Dallas for my Ironman friend's wedding.  In typical Morgan fashion, I tried to see as many people as I could in a very brief period... old cowokers, old bosses, old clients, old friends, old running partner... I fit them all into a jammed packed two days, not to mention why I really went down there; to see one of the most amazing people I know get married to the man that makes her the happiest I have ever seen almost anyone.  It is couples like this that remind you, don't settle for anything less than what they have...

This time I was not in tears when I left Texas... I left with a smile on my face, happy to be going home.  It is behind me, all of it.  It is without a doubt a part of me, but I felt it, experienced it and learned from it.  I learned I am a Coloradoan at heart.  And although we can handle any blizzard, heat wave, freak storm... we can not handle humidity.  I am also not cut-throat.  I like to give credit where credit is due, and I was not prepared for the corporate world.  I was good at it, but I hated what that brought out in people.  I love coming to work, doing work and going home... I have a life again. 

Somewhere in my 20s I almost forgot what was important or what I really wanted in life.  I always think about a moment in high school basketball when my coach asked us to write down what we wanted in life... I don't remember the whole sheet, but I wrote that I wanted to hear every language in the respective country.  Now, I realize that is a lofty goal... none-the-less, I wanted to travel.  I didn't write that I wanted to be associate, a wife, a mother, own a house... I tried it their way.  It was hell.  So glad to be doing it my way.  Traveling, dancing, laughing, dating... living my way with real people, real friends standing all around me.