When you read the articles about why Romney lost the election and they mention that the grass-roots, on-the-ground campaign that Obama's camp ran was superior to that of ol' Willard's. They are right. I saw it first hand. I would show up at a local supporters house, where his first floor was set up with campaigning materials, computers, snacks and be greeted by a happy, eager organizer, Eddie. Eddie would explain what we were doing, the laws around how it worked and patiently answered questions. The first phase I registered voters, the second phase I made sure those that registered were going to vote. Each time I showed up to volunteer Eddie would be there with a map printed, names of registered democrats or unaffiliated voters on the two by two block area I would canvass that day. It amazed me. We really did win this election "block by block."
I enjoyed the moment as long as I could, with a beer in hand watching Brian Williams announce Ohio was projected blue... and relaxed. Then the sad stat was realized, the country was subjected to this LONG, EXPENSIVE campaign for 18 months and we are back to where we started... a do nothing House and a Democrat President. But is it worse?
Thank you GOP for portraying Democrats as lazy, self-entitled minorities. Thank you liberals for stereotyping Republicans as the rich 1% of the population whose greed collapsed the banks. Thank you to those around me that bought into it and focused on what they didn't want in our government more than what they wanted. Once my neighbors, friends, coworkers remove their yard signs, I have to accept our differences and work as a community again. Will Congress?