Pages

Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Still Time for Resolutions

It seems like just yesterday I was talking about all the things I had planned for 2012... San Fran, Vietnam, Olympics, weddings, concerts... I managed to keep the schedule pretty full.  I saw some amazing things.  I did some amazing things.  When the year started a good friend sent me a link about resolutions, 57 Life-Changing Resolutions

I am starting to feel that life is more than bucket lists, accomplishments and material things.  The more comfortable I become with where I am, the fewer things I want and the less I want to be around negativity, people or otherwise.  I constantly look at this list and I have challenged myself to grow by changing a few things I do.  A few things that the boyfriend and I have done lately that I love:

  • Leave a 30% tip, every time- It really makes a difference.  I challenge everyone to do this.
  • Go 1-for-1 on your wardrobe.- This is now a solid rule, we really don't need stuff.  And not having the room since the boyfriend moved in has made it easier to enforce.
  • Do less better. - I have stopped planning so far in advance to make time for random dinners, brunch dates with old friends.  Or one on one time instead of time at a bar with 20 people.  I have really reconnected with some people I really missed.
  • Break an old habit.- I haven't bit my nails in 2 months.
  • Bury the hatchet.- They know who they are (in fact this year there were many), and I am glad to say it is water under the bridge.
  • Teach gratitude, selflessness and charity (quietly). - I started keeping dollar bills in my car and told myself any time I see someone that needs help, I will give them a dollar if I have it.  No judgement.  We were walking downtown and we passed an old man, reading, in his sleeping bag in a doorway.  He had one tomato by him.  Without me saying anything the boyfriend went to the ATM, we went back to him and handed the old man some cash.  Life gets hard.  I am not here to judge and being poor is not a crime. 
  • Write more letters. -I focused on my Grandpa.  I think he loves it.  Better late than never.
  • Create something real. 
So here is where the boyfriend comes in, "create something real."  I do not have a creative bone in my body.  When he was moving in he had some old end tables.  We decided instead of throwing them away we would make them into something we wanted and create something, even get a little creative.  We have very similar tastes when it comes to furniture so with his know-how, skill and well... he did most of it.  Haha... we have some amazing end tables and we had time to do them this past weekend because I didn't schedule anything to do.  One thing at a time.


Before:  There were two, product of the 80s?



During: Mixing concrete on our deck
Finished Product with the concrete top

I kinda love them