Pages

Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Leap Year

A large part of my heritage is Irish.  I think the Irish have one of the best traditions on Leap Year:
"According to the legend, St. Brigid of Kildare, a fifth-century Irish nun, had heard enough complaints from single women whose suitors were too shy to propose. So, she spoke to St. Patrick about the problem, and they agreed to let women propose on Leap Day, once every four years."
I thought I was being cute and innovative when I woke up this morning and asked the boyfriend if he wanted to marry me.  His response, "My mom actually asked me if you were going to propose today."  Ok, so his family is Irish as well and I surprised no one with that question.  But then, that surprised me.

So I had to ask him if he thought we were rushing into things.  He reminded me we hadn't rushed into anything yet and he believes feelings "can't be rushed."  What other great words of wisdom are out there?  "When you know, you know."  My hang up is I thought I knew in the past, and I was wrong.  "So, my ex didn't love me.  Shit happens."  I can sit here and think about how I should approach this relationship, put a time frame on it, develop all these rules... but why?  To protect myself?  Too late, I already said it out loud.