I don't talk about it like I used to... but I am still running. Not well, not alot, not routinely, not any of the things that I should be doing... nonetheless, I love it. I love that it gives me an excuse to see some old friends. I am heading down to San Antonio for what will be no doubt, the worst Half Marathon I have ever run. This made me think. The half marathon looming over my head led me back to a race I ran in March 2007, on Saint Patrick's Day.
It was just a 5k, it was just the prelude to a day full of drinking. I took a picture that day, that I am sure if I looked hard enough I could find it... running that race with me was my running partner, his wife, one of my old coworkers and the ex. All standing there, 4 years younger, in green, not knowing how we would all impact eachother's lives in the years to come.
If I took a similar picture at the finish line this Sunday there will be the old coworker, the running partner and me, three of the four. I love that. I love that I still have running and that I have rooted myself in some Texas friendships that I hope to always have. You never know when you do something if the people standing around you will always be there... but you hope. Two out of three isn't bad.
The running partner sent me our race agenda... just get me there, just get me to the start line. This is the first race where I am not concerned about the finish line, I love that part of my personality that is changing (ever so slowly, but still changing).