Two years. Almost two years. Think about that for a minute. How much do you think your life can change in two years? One year? One day? One minute? I have learned that you can't stop what is coming, so try to enjoy it, all of it, everything. What I love about this guy I am dating (and yes I want to give him an alias, so we are going with the Hockey Player) is that I am in a great place, to take everything I have learned about myself and what I want and try to bring that into this relationship.
I am not in a place where I need help, need someone... he is not getting out of some ridiculously long relationship, he is not 24... we know enough about eachother going in that we have a level of trust established 12 years ago. I like him. I am starting to get excited.
The rate at which I am able to get excited about someone amazes me. I assume the worst and hope for the best. It takes him showing up on time for a few dates before I believe he won't stand me up. It takes him talking about his previous relationships a few times before I believe that they won't impact me negatively. It takes going out for a few drinks (sometimes alot of drinks) a few times to know that he won't get mad at me for talking to other people instead of him. It takes laying on the couch, in his arms, watching football together to know that he will make me feel safe. How many more rounds can I put the Hockey Player through... while I wait for something to go wrong? Hopefully alot, for a long time.
Getting excited...