What was the best birthday you ever had?
I got asked this question recently, and I realized that I could probably tell you about the worst birthdays I ever had... But really couldn't tell you about the best. Growing up, it was not a big deal. As a result, I never got amped up for it. I got older. I would go out. I would keep expectations low, but from year to year the people around me would change... then I came home, and turned 30.
My couple friends from Dallas, came out to visit. The now husband took off for the mountains and she stayed in Denver for ladies night. I forget sometimes just how hard these two tried to stay neutral during all that mess with the ex, and I am so glad they did. Talking about Dallas reminds me of what I left behind, it is slowly getting easier to deal with... but a lot slower than I ever thought. It is in this thought process that I realize, this friend had come up to be with me, to celebrate my birthday for the third year in a row. I then realize the girls that are coming out were all there last year when I down and out. And not just last year, any time I needed it... one of these girls had been there. Every decade of my life would be represented Saturday night... from 8th grade, to high school basketball, to my first day at college, my last day at college, my hard times in Dallas, and now my 30th birthday... they were all there.
Only one thing to do in this situation. Go dancing. And we did. And we rocked it, like you only can as an older, wiser 30 year old.
We go to the trendiest dance club in Denver. This is not saying much after living in Dallas, but we get "Texas Dressy," order bottle service, and dance. No drama. No effort. Just girls from all over having fun. At one point me and this girl I knew in college head out to the dance floor. I had noticed this guy in a white shirt all night... he is leaving the dance floor as we are going to it. We look at each other AGAIN and he stops. He stops to find out my name, say happy birthday and tell me I look great for 30. This guy is, without a doubt, the hottest guy to ever hit on me. He promises to come back.
I find my girls in the VIP area, we are still dancing... as the time to leave approaches, I decide to go find this hot guy. I walk out into the club and the song "All the way turned up" is playing. How do I know this? Because they play it at sporting events. I love that I am in a short, black dress and know this. I smile. I did this last year... I was a year older and a year wiser. This time I am not leaving my friends for a hot guy at a dance club. I turn around, find my girls... get in a cab and go home.
I don't know it all... I don't know much... but I love that just getting hit on by the hottest guy ever and having my best friends with me was all I needed. Probably all I will ever need. I can't wait to dance at 40. Hopefully with the same girls.