On Monday I went to a Colorado Rockies game. I put on my purple t-shirt, Rockies hat to protect from the chance of rain and put the iPOD headphones in my ears and began my walk to Coors Field. This was a 1.5 mile hike through what Denver considers "The Hood." The Ghetto. Where you don't want to live. This is my new neighborhood. I loved every minute of this walk.
I love walking. When things were crazy in my life, I walked. I walked whenever I felt like I was going to break, to calm down... I also walk when I am really excited and need to come back down to earth. During a walk you see things that you wouldn't usually see in a car or on a run. I passed by the train station where all the young gangsta kids asked me if I had cigerettes, I then passed the school field where the cutest kids were playing soccer and just as I was approaching the City I saw the young professional in his suit on his iPhone taking his dog out.
I am a lot like this neighborhood. Young, vibrant, full of life... some of it seems misdirected. I want to take the kids drinking in the park behind my house and remind them that the world needs them to succeed. I am not ignorant, I see the drug dealers, see the fights... but I also see the black kids playing soccer with the white kids and I want them to be like that forever. I see the old victorian house that the owner can't afford to maintain and try to imagine what this City used to look like. Just because someone, something appears a little beaten on the outside doesn't mean it isn't amazing the minute you walk in the door.
My new running route to City Park takes me down this street where every other intersection dead ends into a park. I love that parks used to matter to people. Oh, and I love that the closest bar to my house is a gay bar. This is my neighborhood.
It happens tomorrow. 30. Do I need to change my site header?
I got to the Rockies game, walked into a random bar, saw people I knew, joked around and went to the game. Life is simple. I like it better this way.
Like the hood I am a little beaten up on the outside. I am still defining my identity. Am I the young professional? The kid looking for direction? You may be a little apprehensive to get to know me or come into my world... but I can guarentee I have great intentions, life lessons to share and I am amazing on the inside. The world may have not been to kind to me, but I am not mad, I am still here. I took the long route, but I finally made it home... just in time for my 30th birthday.