The one thing I immediately loved when I moved home was running in the Colorado elements. The dry, crisp (thin) air, was all I needed to zone out and just run. I was not a runner before I moved to Texas. This is something that I brought home with me and it has given me the opportunity to explore my City in a way I never did before. It started out with my finding Vail Pass Trail and has pretty much been an adventure ever since. I have run multiple loops around Wash Park, but it is my favorite, other than that each run has been different and unplanned. It usually includes me seeing the mountains like I never have before, they look different everyday. For the first time in years I have got to run from summer into fall... the leaves are almost gone and soon I will be running into winter, a new adventure for sure.
When my old running partner suggested I come back to Dallas and run in the White Rock Marathon, I didn't think emotionally I could do it. I trained for this race last year, got hurt and fell short. I didn't want that same disappointment right now. At the same time I have never not done something I set my mind out to do; I wasn't ready to start now. And I was done making decisions based on fear. So I hit the road, hard. I have had the support of the running partner from a distance and this beautiful City around me to urge me on. My last long run, 16 miles, I ran by Mile Hi, got swept in an organized 10k, and felt great.
I have never ran 18 miles. I am nervous, nervous I won't be able to fill up my water bottle, my hip will give out and I won't make. I am excited too. I plan on running all the way to Coors Field this time, breathe the cool, fall air and do something I have never done before.