Pages

Sunday, May 22, 2011

Keeping It in Perspective

Two things I got from two very good friends last year: a water bottle that says "Keep Calm and Carry on", and "Oh The Places You Will Go" by Dr. Suess. These two items motivated me, kept me going when I didn't want to. I can admit my time in Texas has taught me to be more patient and remain calm... I can feel it, small things really just don't bother me anymore. I have also slowed down to notice those moments, those moments to remind me, things are good.

Last night I had one of those moments. I had spent my Saturday afternoon talking to a few of my friends and no matter how the conversation started, each time it ended with a story of someone we knew cheating on someone, getting divorced, just couples that were unhappy. I went over to the Canadians condo, nicely located next to Mile Hi, where I join her and another friend to share in a glass of wine and much needed girl time. We grab our wine, blankets and head to the rooftop, to enjoy the last few hours of daylight, each other's company and the close but distant sounds of The Fray and U2.

On the rooftop, we are joined by a physical therapist. One thing leads to another and we quickly learn he moved to Denver with his soon be ex-wife. He fit right into the topic of the day's conversation. A little more vino and we learn that the man has a serious heart condition, is on the waiting list for a heart transplant and this condition was too much for his wife and she wanted a divorce. That, and she had his U2 concert ticket. We all agreed that his story was the worst of the day, and if all that was true... he had married someone without a soul. They had been married for 18 months and he was 34 years old, not only with a bad heart, but a broken one too.

My life is good. I have great friends, I love my job and I am FINALLY happy with where I am in life. I meet people like the physical therapist and they remind me of where I have been, what I have learned and how fortunate I am to be here. My last year in Texas can be summed up by a page in my Dr Seuss book,

You can get so confused
that you'll start to race
down long wiggled roads at a break-necking pace
and grind on for miles across weirdish wild space
headed, I fear, toward the most useless place
The Waiting Place...

I was in the waiting place for far too long. I hope to never do that again, to keep it in perspective and live, no matter the situation... We only have one life, but if we do it right that is all we will need.

"And will you succeed?
Yes! You will, indeed!
(98 and 3/4 percent guaranteed" - Dr Seuss