Pages

Thursday, February 17, 2011

The Hipster

Back on the infamous limo ride night I met a guy, I thought he was 23 but apparently he just turned 25, I know, I know.  He is actually saved in my phone like I am on the Bachelor, Hipster, 25.  This guy has been asking me out since.  I could not get past the age thing and with all the stuff I had going on, I just didn't have time.  He asked me out again last Saturday.  Why not?  What do I have to lose?  We decide to meet at a local hole in the wall for pizza and a beer. 

He is there waiting.  I almost wondered if I knew what he looked like, I mean this was back in November when we met.  I would have loved this guy 5 years ago, that much is clear.  He reminded me of a hipster.  There is some debate on this term so I had to resort to Urban Dictionary for some clarity:

"Although "hipsterism" is really a state of mind,it is also often intertwined with distinct fashion sensibilities. Hipsters reject the culturally-ignorant attitudes of mainstream consumers, and are often be seen wearing vintage and thrift store inspired fashions, tight-fitting jeans, old-school sneakers, and sometimes thick rimmed glasses. Both hipster men and women sport similar androgynous hair styles that include combinations of messy shag cuts and asymmetric side-swept bangs."

He didn't have the "state of mind" but he looked like a hipster.  He had on the graphic t-shirt with the Volcom hat that is associated with the snowboarding crowd and the longer hair.  At some point in the night he revealed that the hat was due to the recent hair cut, they went "Beiber" on him.  I just smile.  I order a beer, he is drinking water, the waitress asks for both of our IDs since she is bringing beer to the table.  Aside from the hipster, age thing, this guy has it together; traveled with the Navy, works out every morning (hipsters are also known for having 2% body fat), works at Lockheed, talked about retirement, house, dog... and then my favorite part, he owns a crotchrocket and wants to teach me how to snowboard.  We end the night talking about the Jersey Shore.

My whole life I have been the responsible one.  I have taken care of everyone since a very young age.  I was always working towards something, college, degree, career, house... and here I am.  I had/have all that and I am only taking care of myself now for the first time ever.  Do I see hanging out with a 25-year old guy on his motorcycle as responsible?  No.  Do I see it being part of my path to success? No.  But why not?  I worked hard all my life and this is where it led me... maybe this is where I was supposed to be.  Date number two?  Haha... maybe, if it is in the mountains, either in the snow or on the bike.  Keep Calm and Carry On.